Monday, March 15, 2010

Interviews Day 9!

Name: Megan Winn
Business Name: The Binding Bee
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

What do you make? Handmade leather and vintage books and greeting cards

How did you learn your art/craft? I started making handmade journals in high-school by reading library "how-to" books. My first ones were terrible! Then in college I took a workshop on Coptic binding and after that I started a NFP organization, Bound 4 Freedom with a few of my friends. We made handmade books and sold them all over, donating the profits to local causes. That organization dissolved when we all graduated, but I was still obsessed with making books. A year ago I started selling my work independently which is how The Binding Bee was born. Now I am studying with a local Book-Binding Master and am learning historical and contemporary book-binding.

Where do you get your inspiration from? i look at a lot of books about handmade and historical books, i spend way too much time online, i go for walks, i try new things, i browse antique stores and junk shops, and i spend a lot of time just playing in my studio.

Do you have a "real world" job? I work as a care-giver providing in-home care to elderly folks.

Your five favorite things: (in no particular order) making book, my husband, my three little sisters, chocolate no-bake cookies, and having a garden.

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? Too many to list!

Where can we find you? The Binding Bee can be found online at: bindingbee.etsy.com, and locally at IndySwank in Indianapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment