Sunday, March 14, 2010

Interviews Day 8

Name: Melissa Carter
Business Name: CASEmethod
Location: Indianapolis, Ind.

What do you make? Wooden jewelry and accessories

How did you learn your art/craft? I'm self-taught on the particulars, but my dad is a woodworker so the basic skills and suggestions for improvement come from him.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Often the wood itself. The beauty of it commands a certain design. Other than that, the inability to find exactly what I'm looking for drives me to make it myself. And share it with you.

Do you have a "real world" job? When I'm not making sawdust, I'm the production manager of an alternative newsweekly and freelance graphic designer.

Your five favorite things: 1) good friends 2) good food 3) my creatures (dog and cat, but I'm counting them as one) 4) old cartoons 5) Japanese pull saws

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? Anybody out there hustling their craft has my respect. And Caravaggio. Chairoscuro rocks my world.

Where can we find you?  I'm on Etsy - http://casemethod.etsy.com/ and at Indy Swank - 1043 Virginia Ave., Indianapolis
 
 
 
 

Name: Katie Fry
Business Name: Mama Kate
Location: West Lafayette, IN
 
What do you make? Ring Slings (I make a variety of stuff, but I decided to concentrate on Slings for now. I also make baby-ish stuff like bibs and little girl dresses.)
 
How did you learn your art/craft? I learned to sew on my own through trial and error. Anytime I need to learn something, I'll watch a video online or just try it and see if it works.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Definitely my children. I started using slings when my second son was born and decided to try making my own because, hey! I know how to sew, why not put my craft to good use! And, after using a sling, I truly understood how awesome, useful, and completely necessary they are to have around with a baby. They make life SO much easier!
 
Do you have a "real world" job? Sewing beautiful slings and taking care of my children is my job. I had a “real world” job when I was pregnant with my 2nd kid but decided to quit. Quitting my 9-5 to stay home with my kids while they are young was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
 
Your five favorite things: Family, Friends, Music, Coffee, Warm Weather
 
Who are your favorite artists/crafters? I don’t have a specific favorite, but I really like Kathryn Darts artwork. I'm also a big fan of Mamus! And my internet pal, Kate Loar has wonderful stuff. She made me a couple of awesome scarves for Christmas. LOVED them!
 
Where can we find you?  my website is http://www.mamakates.com/. On my website is a 'My Shop' link that will take you to my Etsy shop, http://www.mamakates.etsy.com/. I also have my slings selling locally at Gretel's Fine Gifts in West Lafayette. My Midwife, Penny Lane, will soon be selling my slings (once I can get a batch ready for her) in Thornton. I will also be setting up a table at the monthly parenting group that I will soon be directing, CHOICES The Natural Birth and Informed Parenting Network for the Greater Lafayette Area.

No comments:

Post a Comment