Sunday, March 21, 2010

Interviews Day 15: Brown County Glassworks and Conduit Press

Name: Anne Brahaum
Business Name: Brown County Glassworks
Location: Nashville, IN

What do you make? Stained and fused glass functional art and jewelry- mostly lamps, bowls, plates, vases, earrings and pendants

How did you learn your art/craft? I took many stained glass classes in high school and have been perfecting my skills ever since. I took a glass fusing class last year and now I'm hooked on fusing.

Where do you get your inspiration from? the color combinations and beauty of nature with a modern twist.

Do you have a "real world" job? mom to two little kids and part time special education teacher.

Your five favorite things: chocolate, my kids, chocolate, being outside, chocolate

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? Frank Lloyd Wright and the countless artists I've come into contact with over the last two years through art shows, etsy, and glass fusing communities- I am constantly awestruck at their creativity and skills!

Where can we find you? http://www.annesglass.etsy.com/
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Name: Talia Halliday
Business Name: Conduit Press
Location: Bloomington, IN

What do you make? handmade & vintage books, albums and cards

How did you learn your art/craft? I've been making various sorts and types of photo albums and scrapbooks since I was a wee one, but not until my senior year in college did I learn the true art that was bookbinding. In a class taught at the Collins LLC on "Creating Artist's Books" by Yara Cluver I learned how to use archival materials to create beautiful long-lasting books using a variety of sewing techniques and papers.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Actually, quite a few places. My family. Nature. Type. Technology. Old world 'things'. I find myself at this odd crossroads sometimes between modern and traditional and I just have to merge the two together instead of choosing one or the other. So, sometimes you'll find a rustic looking leather journal in my shop, but it might have an image of a typewriter burned into it. Other times you might find a vintage library book rescued from who knows where bound together with modern designs covering the end sheets. You just never know.

Do you have a "real world" job? My job is being a mother and it's the most wonderful occupation anyone could ever dream of. There is nothing more fulfilling or joyful in this world than getting to spend all day with your little ones.

Your five favorite things: Griffin (my baby) & my family of course. Ice cream. Watermelon. BOOKS!

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? Such a difficult question as there are so many contemporary artists out there now that are so much more reachable than they used to be. I Love both Sabrina Ward Harrison and Traci Bunkers when it comes to book art. They are amazing and an inspiration. Diane Arbus. Joseph Cornell. Keith Smith.

Where can we find you?

My shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/conduitpress


My twitter: http://twitter.com/conduitpress

My facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Conduit-Press/149079729044?ref=ts

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallidayt/


Stores: Currently my vintage upcycled notebooks can be found at FARMbloomington in Bloomington, IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment