Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Interview Day 17: Vernon Ave. and Never Contented Things

Name: Toni Johnson
Business Name: Vernon Ave
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

What do you make?
I specialize in handcrafted handbags made from new, vintage and recycled materials. I really adore the new vintage inspired and retro modern fabrics in cotton, as well. I love haunting thrift stores. I have been going thrifting since I was a child. I had the coolest aunt that collected vintage lingerie, clothing and handbags

How did you learn your art/craft? Self Taught although I was always around crafts and sewing. My Mom made my sister, myself and her matching outfits when I was a child.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
My adoration for handbags began with my grandmothers Julia Belle, Elizabeth and my mother Michelle from a very young age. It is in my blood. The beauty, craftsmanship and design of vintage handbags are amazing. And there began the collection and intrigue. I have many bags that were my Grandmothers that she carried to parties, the Kentucky Derby and such. I love that history. I really enjoy reading about the history of handbags.

Do you have a "real world" job? I consider this a real job. However I am a professionally trained graphic designer.

Your five favorite things: This is almost tragic. I have so many favorite things. travelling, sewing, baking, music, old movies

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? ohhh, this is so hard!

Warhol

Coco Chanel

Melissa Averinos

Paul Rand

Anais Nin

Where can we find you?
http://www.vernonave.etsy.com/

blog: http://www.handmademoonshine.blogspot.com/

fb: vernon ave
 
 
 
 
 
Name: Erin Paulson and Zoë Bare
Business Name: Never Contented Things
Location: Chicago, IL

What do you make? Handmade paper wares – from elegant wearable items to beautiful functional ones.

How did you learn your art/craft? From taking papermaking workshops with Andrea Peterson and Helen Hiebert, two papermaking masters. And by experimenting with a combination of ideas and a variety of both common and unusual materials.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Organic forms and natural occurrences.

Do you have a "real world" job? Yes, we’re both photographers. Erin currently works freelance and Zoë works full-time for a Chicago auction house.

Your five favorite things: Pie! (of all varieties) Movies, both excellent and bad. Paper in all of its incarnations. Baking cookies, and then eating them. Making things in general with our four bare hands.

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? We both like Robert and Shana ParkeHarrison, Erica Shires, and Ryan McGinley. Erin, having more of a bookbinding background, loves the books of Monique Lallier. Zoë’s interest in printmaking has led to a fascination with Lynd Ward.

Where can we find you?
http://nevercontentedthings.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment