Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Interviews Day 4!

Name: Martha Ellen Latta
Business Name: Sunday Afternoon Housewife
Location: Indianapolis, IN

What do you make? Scrabble tile, resin, and glass tile pendants and rings, bottle cap magnets, the occasional silk-screened tee-shirt, and lots and lots of randomness

How did you learn your art/craft? I'm mainly self-taught! I owe a lot to my crafty mother for encouraging me when I was young, and now to various tutorials off of the internet (craftster.org being my favorite site for tutorials), but I've mainly learned through practice as well as trial and error!

Where do you get your inspiration from? Mostly from Mother Nature- I love owls and birds, gnomes and narwhals, cats and dogs, trees and dirt... They are all ever present in my work.

Do you have a "real world" job? Funny you should ask because I just kinda quit my day job so I could focus on my crafting. I say "kinda quit" because right now it's more like a self-imposed 12 week sabbatical from my real job of teaching English to focus on crafting. I'm not so secretly hoping that I won't have to go back.

Your five favorite things: 1. My husband 2. My pets (2 cats, 2 dogs, 3 fish) 3. My garden 4. Vodka 5. Chocolate

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? I'll just say it- I love Martha Stewart. I think it started as a silly school girl crush because we share the same name, but then she went to prison, and came out even better than she was before, and that's pretty cool in my book. I'm also a really big fan of Mary Jane Butters, who is kinda like Martha Stewart, but totally organic, and of course Jennifer Perkins of Naughty Secretary Club.

Where can we find you?

My Etsy: http://www.mellenlatta.etsy.com/

My Blog: http://www.sundayafternoonhousewife.wordpress.com/

Brick and Mortar: In Indianapolis at Midland Arts & Antiques and Mass Ave Wine Shoppe

Upcoming Crafty Events I'm Attending:
March 13, 2010- Funky Finds Spring Fling,Will Rodgers Memorial Colesium, Ft. Worth, Texas 9am-3pm
March 18th, 2010- Standard Recording Company SXSW Day Party, Austin, TX @ The Dirty Dog More info and toRSVP: http://www.standardrecording.com/sxsw/
April 3rd, 2010- Bloomington Handmade Market 10am-4pm @ KRC Banquets, located at 3rd and College, Bloomington, IN



Name: Lauren Younis
Business Name: A Quartzy Life

Location: Bloomington, IN; Chicago, IL... wherever I happen to be I guess!

What do you make? I make mostly little original watercolor paintings, but these days I've been concentrating on hand-sewn notebooks made of unique found or collected papers. I also write, illustrate, and hand-bound little art books that feature things I've written or inspirational sayings.

How did you learn your art/craft? I taught myself. I "study" Comparative Literature and Science Journalism in school, and art is just something I make up as I go.

Where do you get your inspiration from? Everywhere- people mostly, and the ideas that they have. Experience is another big one- things I go through, and things I see other people go through. From observing, from talking, from participating and being engaged and attentive to the world in general. Often it's from seeing something that seems small, unimportant, or removed- say a leaf on the ground, or an individual even- and imagining the potential of that thing, seeing all the things that thing could be, all the places it's been, all the places could will go... basically trying to extract beauty from everything.

Do you have a "real world" job? I'm a librarian here in Bloomington, and when I go home I work retail and as a hostess.

Your five favorite things: (Aside from art...) Live music, dancing, sunlight, traveling,and booksbooksbooks.

Who are your favorite artists/crafters? It changes all the time; I love discovering new artists.

Where can we find you?

-aquartzylife.etsy.com

-aquartzylife.blogspot.com

-flickr.com/photos/a_quartzy_life

-Boxcar Books, Bloomington, IN

-Often when I have no use for very teeny tiny paintings and sketches, I take them outside and drop them on the ground or tape them to trees. So, wherever that happens to be, you can find me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment